Present: Donna Budnick; Ronald Douglas; Dawn Duncan; Sheila Hackett Gaskell, chair-elect; Jacqueline Hand; Jim Keedy; John Lemire; Richard McLellan; Mike Murray; Tom Myers; Melissa Pope, secretary-treasurer; Angela Sherigan, student representative.
- Sheila Gaskell presented information she received from Thomas Silvia, the chair, regarding the topic for the annual meeting. However, she did not have details as to his proposed topic.
- An alternative topic was presented about fishing rights. The Council voted for this topic for the annual meeting program.
- The Council unanimously agreed to award this year's Tecumseh award to Helen Tanner.
- Donna Budnick suggested that we send notices to other sections about our program.
- The Council unanimously voted to have Angela Sherigan serve as the program chair.
- Melissa Pope will be responsible for the plaque.
- Ron Douglas will be responsible for the pipe.
- Tom Silvia is interested in submitting amicus briefs. This discussion was tabled until the next meeting.
Section 104 of the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction & Enforcement Act
- Sheila Gaskell suggested that the Section consider the implications of Section 104 of the UCCJEA.
- Sheila Gaskell will get more information.
- Donna Budnick offered to get information out to Indian Country.
- Most Council members cannot be present. Discussion as to whether to cancel this meeting is tabled until Sheila Gaskell can talk to Tom Silvia.
Election Nominating Committee
- The Council expressed the desire to expand interest in the Section. Suggestions included sending notices to Native American Law Student Association (NALSA) chapters throughout Michigan, tribes, and urban organizations, as well as getting a list of profiles of Section members from the State Bar.
- It was brought to the Council's attention that Art Stein of the Michigan Department of Civil Rights is interested in serving on the Council, as is Mike Detmer.
- Both Jacqueline Hand and Melissa Pope reported that they submitted proposals to the Law School Admissions Council for a grant to host a Native American prelaw program at their respective law schools.
- Sheila Gaskell reported that she will be attending the Bench Bar Conference, May 24-25, 2001, in Mount Pleasant on behalf of the Section.
- Minutes were amended, per the September 13, 2001, Annual Meeting.