Dates: July 17-20, 2014
Location: Boyne Mountain Resort, Boyne Falls, MI
Conference Registration: online or by mail/fax form PDF
Hotel Registration: online or contact the resort at 800-462-6963 to reserve your room. Mention that you are with State Bar of Michigan, Family Law Section to receive our special rate. To get the group rate, you must reserve with the hotel by June 11, 2014.
Friday, July 18
- 8:00–9:00 a.m. Breakfast for conference registrants, sponsored by QDRO Express.
- 9:00 a.m.–Noon Friday's three seminar sessions will focus on the Intersection of Divorce and Probate. We will have "state-of-the-law" presentations by Sandra Glazier and Anthea Papista on subjects such as: statutory exemptions and allowances, GALs for adult and elder law, as well as estate tax concepts in divorce, elder care services and investment strategies for varying age groups by Bruce Knapp, Jason Leroy, Todd Moss, and John Mullins.
- 6:00–8:00 p.m. Cocktail party for conference attendees and their guests sponsored by Doren Mayhew and Greystone Financial Group.
Saturday, July 19
- 8:00–9:00 a.m. Breakfast for conference registrants, sponsored by Speaker Law, PLLC.
- 9:00 a.m.–Noon Saturday's three seminar sessions will address a variety of non-financial topics:
- an update on the status of marriage equality in Michigan by Ric Roane and Peter Kulas
- an update on the new Uniform Collaborative Law Act and the new Uniform Parenting Time Coordination Act by Randy Velzen
- a look at dealing with serious mental health issues in family law cases by Jude Pereira and Rebecca Decoster of Varnum, the materials sponsor for the seminar
All speakers will provide written materials to enhance the value of the presentations. Both days will also feature panel discussions and Q & A sessions with the presenters on the topics presented.
Annual Business Meeting
This event is offered in conjunction with the Bar's Annual Meeting
Date: Thursday, September 18, 2014
Time: 9:00 a.m.–Noon
Location: DeVos Place, Grand Rapids
Registration is requested to allow for proper facilities planning. Visit the Bar's Annual Meeting page for more details.
Winter Conference 2015
Dates: January 31–February 7, 2015
Location: Maroma Resort & Spa, Riviera Mayan, Mexico [website]
Registration Deadline: July 15, 2014
Named "The Top Beach" on the Travel Channel's "World's 10 Best Beaches"
Quite possibly the best kept secret in Mexico, Maroma Resort is a hideaway that is intent on preserving the ecology of its many acres of fine white sand beach and jungle—all the while taking individual service and luxury to unprecedented heights.
The advanced level seminar is taught by some of Michigan's finest family law attorneys.
Michigan Bar Journal—Family Law Issue
Saturday, March 8, 2014, Double Tree, Novi
Saturday, April 5, 2014, University Club, Lansing
Saturday, May 3, 2014, Weber's Inn, Ann Arbor
Saturday, June 7, 2014, Amway Hotel, Grand Rapids
All regular, monthly Council meetings start at 9:30 a.m. and are preceded by a breakfast buffet starting at 9:00 a.m. The Annual Meeting customarily starts at 9:00a.m., with breakfast buffet at 8:30 a.m. Family Law Section members who are not Council members are welcome at all Council meetings. However, if you know you are going to attend a meeting, kindly send an e-mail in advance so we are sure to have plenty of space and food. If a presenter or member wishes access to audio-video equipment let us know 7 days in advance.
James J. Harrington, Ill
Join the Section
Why Join the Section? PDF by Liisa R. Speaker
There are many intricacies of family law that require an attorney who knows his way around the court room, the referee's office, the family law statutes, the court rules, and case law. Attorneys who practice any amount of family law should join the SBM Family Law Section. [Read the Full Article PDF]
Section Membership Application PDF
Calendar of Section Meetings & Events