- Make recommendations concerning increasing attorney awareness of the problem of domestic violence.
- Advise on the encouragement of training of attorneys and judges on legal remedies and community resources concerning domestic violence.
- Help develop and distribute legal resources concerning domestic violence and victims' access to the legal process.
- Assist in the coordination of programs and activities concerning domestic violence in Michigan.
Note: This committee may have more than 15 members.
2012-2013 Committee List PDF
Theme Issue of the Michigan Bar Journal
September 2011 on Domestic Violence Awareness
New Court Forms—Personal Protection Order Against Sexual Assault
The Committee convened a workgroup to examine the need for new court forms in light of the 2010 amendments to MCL 600.2950a, which provided for a new type of PPO for individuals who were sexually assaulted or threatened with sexual assault. The new law protects individuals who previously could not obtain a PPO because they either never shared an intimate partner relationship as required to obtain relief under the domestic relationship PPO statute, or could not demonstrate that the respondent had engaged in two or more unconsented contacts that would constitute stalking under Michigan's criminal stalking statutes.
The workgroup drafted four new forms and also proposed that the SCAO adopt amendments to several existing personal protection forms. The workgroup was also able to review and offer comments on the proposed instructions for the new forms. The Michigan Court Forms Committee accepted the Domestic Violence Committee's proposal at their March 2011 meeting.
Find More Information
Mediation and Conciliation Practices in Friend of the Court
The Committee convened a workgroup to examine and potentially address issues with conciliation, mediation and other alternative dispute resolution methods occurring in the Friend of the Court in cases involving domestic violence.
Representatives from the Committee will give presentations on the issue at several upcoming training activities and conferences.
Michigan Family Law Journal Articles
In response to a column in 2008 by the editor of the Family Law Journal calling for more action on preventing domestic violence, the committee offered to coordinate a monthly “domestic violence column” in the Family Law Journal. As a result, beginning with the June/July 2008 edition, the committee has published a monthly article related to domestic violence and authored by committee members or guest experts in the field. The articles submitted for publication as of May 1, 2011, for the 2010-2011 bar year are:
- Stalking update: legislative initiatives, tips and resources
- Mediation and domestic violence
- Domestic violence in later life
- SB 185—lease termination statute
- Substance abuse and domestic violence
- Fathering after violence—programs for boys and men
- Full faith and credit for personal protection orders
- Collateral consequences for survivors with convictions
- Review of Domestic Violence, Abuse, and Child Custody: Legal Strategies and Policy Issues, edited by Mo Therese Hannah, Ph.D., and Barry Goldstein, J.D.
Archived Seminar Materials
Pro Bono Training: Introduction to Domestic Violence Family Law
Witness Tampering in Civil and Criminal Intimate Partner Violence Cases
Sponsored with the Family Law Section. Orginally presented October 29, 2010
Training Materials PDF
Sponsored by the Domestic Violence Committee
On March 15, 2010, nationally recognized speaker and domestic violence advocate Sarah Buel drew on her 32 years of experience working with battered women and abused children within the legal system to speak on topics related to domestic violence. Subjects included compassionate representation, barriers to escaping violence, and perpetrator accountability.
More Information 4.2MB POWERPOINT
Public Policy Reports
All reports are in PDF format.
2013-2014 Legislative Session
- HB4120 Child Custody Act of 1970, Joint Custody
2011-2012 Legislative Session
- SB0743 Uniform Child Abduction Prevention Act
2009-2010 Legislative Session
2007-2008 Legislative Session
- HB5324 Personal Protection Orders
- HB5598 Placement of Pets by the Court in a Divorce
2005-2006 Legislative Session
- HB5267 Mandates Joint Custody in Every Custody Dispute Between Parents Except in Certain Circumstances
- HB5421 Clarifies Penalties for Certain Sex Offenders
- May 15, 2012 PDF
- April 24, 2012 PDF
- March 20, 2012 PDF
- February 21, 2012 PDF
- January 17, 2012 PDF
- December 6, 2011 PDF
- November 15, 2011 PDF
- October 18, 2011 PDF
- March 11, 2011 PDF
- February 11, 2011 PDF
- January 10, 2011 PDF
- November 18, 2010 PDF
- October 21, 2010 PDF
- June 9, 2010 PDF
- May 5, 2010 PDF
- March 16, 2010 PDF
- February 3, 2010 PDF
- November 30, 2009 PDF
- October 31, 2009 PDF
- September 12, 2009 PDF
- July 25, 2009 PDF
- June 13, 2009 PDF
- May 9, 2009 PDF
- April 18, 2009 PDF
- February 27, 2009 PDF
- January 31, 2009 PDF
- December 13, 2008 PDF
- November 8, 2008 PDF
- October 4, 2008 PDF
- August 2, 2008 PDF
- June 21, 2008 PDF
- May 6, 2008 PDF
- April 1, 2008 PDF
- February 23, 2008 PDF
- January 26, 2008 PDF
- November 17, 2007 PDF