Introduction to Employment Law Topics
Employment law includes federal and state law and sometimes local ordinances. Some of the main areas that are covered by employment law are:
- Discrimination against applicants and employees;
- Issues related to pay, including equal pay, minimum wages and overtime;
- Benefits related to employment, such as unemployment compensation, worker’s compensation, pensions, and pregnancy and medical leaves;
- Workplace safety, including laws regulating employment of minors;
- Collective bargaining (sometimes referred to as Labor Law)
An overview of various topics included in employment law can be found at the Cornell Legal Information Institute with a list of employment law issues by topic. The National Employment Law Project also provides a set of fact sheets covering many employment law topics.
Finding an Attorney
|Help us improve!
Please take a brief survey giving us
feedback about this website.