• HCLS Website
• Council Information
• Writing Competition
• Health Law Index
• Section Listservs
• Seminar Materials
• SBM Website
• Calendar of Events
• Public Policy
Chair’s Letter from Ann Hollenbeck
We will officially kick-off our new Section year at the Annual Meeting of the Health Care Law Section on Thursday, September 24 at the Cranbrook Institute of Science in Bloomfield Hills. Our meeting this year is dedicated to the memory of Thomas J. Trenta, an active member of our Section, who died earlier this year. To honor Tom’s service to the Section, the Council has permanently renamed our law student writing competition in honor of Tom. This year’s Thomas J. Trenta Memorial Student Writing Competition winners will be announced and introduced at the Annual Meeting.
NOTE: Registration for this event has been extended to September 20. Hope to see you there!
The Annual Meeting will begin at 11:30 a.m. with lunch and a federal advocacy update from Laura Appel, vice president Federal Policy and Advocacy, Michigan Health & Hospital Association. Our business meeting will immediately follow the lunch program. Thereafter, the following four breakout sessions will take place:
- The Amended Michigan Medicaid Fraud Act and the Federal Deficit Reduction Act Approval: What They Mean to Medical Providers—David Haron, Frank Haron Weiner & Navarro
- HITECH Changes to HIPAA—Elizabeth Callahan-Morris, Hall Render & The Impact of ARRA Act on HIPAA Privacy From a Health Plan’s Perspective—Deborah Marine, compliance & privacy officer, Health Alliance Plan
- Current Legal Issues and RAC Audit Appeal Strategies for Healthcare Counsel—Andrew Wachler, Wachler & Associates PC
- Advising Non-Profit Boards During Treacherous Times—Jonathan Raven, Fraser Trebilcock Davis & Dunlap PC
Our educational program will conclude with a Breaking News Panel featuring John Anderson, Giarmarco, Mullins & Horton PC and Kathy Kudner, Dykema Gossett PLLC.
Don’t miss our networking reception in the unique exhibit halls of the Cranbrook Institute of Science. It will begin at approximately 4:45 p.m. and remain open until 6:30 p.m. Tours of some of Cranbrook’s special displays are also available during this time.
Registration information can be found at the link to the right. If you have any questions about the meeting, please do not hesitate to e-mail me: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Educational Programs:
- October 8 Noon Teleconference on Flu Preparedness, featuring Joanne Lax, Dykema Gosset PLLC and Melissa Markey, Hall Render. The speakers will discuss the potential impact of the H1N1 virus during the 2009-2010 flu season, how the public health system may mitigate that impact, and the actions that can be taken by health facilities and providers to care for patients under potentially compromised circumstances.
- November 12 Noon Teleconference on Negotiating and Drafting IT Contracts, featuring Linda Ross, Honigman Miller Schwartz and Cohn, LLP, and Margaret Marchak, Hall Render.
Registration for these programs will be posted shortly on our Section’s website.
- Thursday, September 24, 2009-Section Annual Meeting at Cranbrook Institute of Science, Bloomfield Hills