Partner Benefits in the Aftermath of U.S. v. Windsor and DeBoer v. Snyder
Join us for a webinar on April 30.
Date: Wednesday, April 30, 2014
Time: Noon-1:15 p.m.
The Health Care Law Section and the Labor & Employment Law Section invite you to attend a webinar presentation of "Partner Benefits in the Aftermath of United States v. Windsor and DeBoer v. Snyder." Presenters Alice MacDermott (vice president, associate general counsel at HAP) and Gloria Hage (general counsel at Eastern Michigan University) will explore what these decisions affecting the recognition of marriage for same sex couples by the federal government and state of Michigan mean for Michigan employers.
Topics covered at the webinar will include:
- A brief overview of the Supreme Court's decision in U.S. v. Windsor & U.S. District Court's decision in DeBoer v. Snyder.
- The impact of the decisions on both public and private employer provided health care benefits, time off, and other compensation programs, including the discrimination and tax implications of providing or not providing benefits.
- How benefits for same sex couples will be treated under federal & state tax law.
- What questions remain in the aftermath of Windsor, DeBoer, and subsequent federal guidance.
- How to design compliant benefits programs in light of marriage laws that vary from state to state.
GoToWebinar will be used in conjunction with our conference dial-in line, so participants will have the option to follow along with the presenters by viewing the program materials online during the presentation.
Presentation materials will be available for download 48 hours prior to the scheduled teleconference.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation e-mail containing information on calling-in to the conference line and joining the webinar, as well as instructions on how to download the program materials.
Questions? E-mail HCLS Administrator Adrienne Nutter at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (313) 566-9221.