1. The meeting held via telephone conference was called to order at 4:05 p.m. by Chairperson Benson Barr.
Barry L. Brickner
Gregory N. Veltima
Konnie G. Kustron
Austin G. Anderson
Melissa Z. El
Miles J. Postema
Reginald G. Dozier
Sydney L. Frank
Vincent A. Romano
Alan C. Roeder
Kevin J. O'Dowd
Linda V. Parker
Beverly M. Helm
Alexander N. Luvall
Donald P. Stone
Marc J. Gazdecki
Kathryn M. Schmid
2. Nomination to Fill Council Vacancies
Gregory N. Veltima, Konnie G. Kustron and Michael Langnas were introduced as prospective new members. The three were unanimously approved as new members of the Council.
3. Approval of the Minutes of the November 13, 1999, meeting was adjourned to the next meeting to be scheduled in April. The proposed minutes will be posted on the Law Practice Management Section listserv.
4. Treasurer's Report
According to the report transmitted to Austin Anderson by the State Bar of Michigan, the Council has a balance of $35,211.82. This is the balance after deducting the expenses for the annual meeting and the expenditure of funds for the publication and distribution of the Section's last newsletter.
5. Council Committee Reports
See Treasurer's Report
C. Annual Meeting
Vince Romano led a general discussion of the Section Meeting to be held in September, 2000. He indicated that the State Bar had indicated that they would not underwrite the cost of Dr. Stiffman's report on the economics law practice in Michigan. Vince further reported that another committee (Access to Justice) has offered, as they have done in the past, to support the study if the study will include data on law student loans. Vince indicated that he would have further discussions with Larkin Chenault and Dan Kim to continue to seek support from the State Bar for the project. Vince has obtained an estimate ($12,000 to $14,000) from Dr. Stiffman as to the cost of the report and will report further at the April meeting.
Konnie G. Kustron agreed to oversee the production and distribution of the next newsletter.
E. Summer Committee
Benson Barr led a general discussion concerning prospective ideas for a summer 2000 program.
6. Old Business
A. Recognition gift for Mark Filipp
The Council unanimously approved a gift for Mark Filipp as a token of the Section's appreciation for his work as chair of the Council.
Barry Brickner reported on the activity on the listserv.
7. New Business
A. ABA Law Office Techshow
8. The Council unanimously approved assisting one member with tuition and expenses (up to $1,000) to attend the ABA Law Office Techshow in Chicago in March.
9. Benson Barr reported on the status of the Law Practice Management website at the State Bar website and discussed the prospect of including links to the ABA Law Practice Management Section and the ABA Techshow. Further, Benson reported that he would like to obtain collaborative ventures with other providers of products and services that would be of interest to our members.
10. Next Meeting Date
The next meeting is scheduled for April 15, 2000, at 9:30 a.m. at a location to be announced.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:10 p.m.
Miles J. Postema