Connect With Us
The Military & Veterans' Law Section has launched a new website and interactive online community for its members—SBM Connect. This private community will enhance the way we communicate and build relationships through the Section. Log in to SBM Connect today and see what the buzz is all about!
- FIND upcoming Section events
- NETWORK via a comprehensive member directory
- SHARE knowledge and resources in the member-only library
- PARTICIPATE in focused discussion groups
SBM Connect will eventually replace the current section website. Both websites will run concurrently to allow you time to discover the new tools and features available to members.
Military & Veterans' Law Section
A new State Bar of Michigan section for Military & Veterans' Law has been added this year.
The goal is to educate and serve. There will opportunities for members who join to:
- help out with training sessions on legal issues related to current and former members of the military
- to receive training on legal issues related to current and former members of the military, so that they work towards being "military friendly" firms
- to work on important legislation to protect our servicemen and women
- to publish articles on legal issues related to current and former members of the military
- to do pro bono work on behalf of current and past military members
- to be involved with creating and maintaining Veteran's Treatment Courts throughout the state
Membership is available to attorneys and law students, with all members eligible to vote and hold leadership positions. Student memberships and memberships for newly admitted attorneys are free. Our first meeting will take place in January.
When you renew your State Bar of Michigan membership, we hope you will consider checking the box for this new section.
We hope to see you at the first meeting!
The Purposes of the Section Shall Be:
To provide a forum for the exchange of ideas among members engaged in the practice of law servicing current and former service members and their dependants, employers, educators, and the judiciary, with a view to:
- improve the practice of military law
- study the principles, regulations, statutes, and legal developments that affect the military community
- improve the quality of legal services provided to the military community
To serve as a forum and vehicle for the dissemination of specialized knowledge to practitioners engaged in the practice of law in this area by fostering networking and communications among members.
To coordinate its activities with those of other sections of the State Bar of Michigan whose activities and practice areas are complementary to those of this Section.
To accomplish these goals, the Military & Veterans' Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan will sponsor meetings and conferences of educational value and support the publication of articles that relate to the purposes of the Section. View the Proposed Bylaws PDF