The Michigan chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union and the State Bar of Michigan Justice Initiatives Division will hold a free training workshop on lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transsexual (LGBT) issues for pro bono attorneys and legal service organizations on Friday, Dec. 5, from 9:30 a.m. to noon at the State Bar of Michigan in Lansing.
ACLU of Michigan attorney Jay Kaplan will present the workshop, titled "Protecting LGBT Families," as part of the organization's ongoing efforts to train attorneys to work with low-income LGBT clients who need legal assistance. Topics of discussion include:
- The status of legal equality;
- Protecting LGBT relationships through legal documents;
- Tips for working with LGBT clients;
- Confronting homophobia in the legal system;
- Resources and technical assistance for LGBT-related legal issues; and
- An overview of state, federal, and case law precedent affecting LGBT clients and their families.