The State Bar of Michigan Lawyer Referral and Information Service (LRIS) is designed to assist members of the public who want to hire an attorney and can afford to pay for legal services.
To Submit a Lawyer Referral Request Using This Website
- Read and accept the Terms of the LRIS (see below).
- Click on the "Continue to Referral Form" box and follow the instructions given.
Terms of the LRIS
- You may submit a request for a lawyer referral using this website or by dialing (800) 968-0738 to speak with a Lawyer Referral Service Representative.
- When you submit an online referral request or leave a voice mail message with our office, we will do our best to respond within 24 hours, excluding weekends and holidays. A Lawyer Referral Service Representative will call you during the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. using the telephone number you provided.
- You will receive the name and telephone number of one attorney who is a LRIS panel member. Only 1 referral will be provided per call or request. Referrals are made to panel members on an impartial, rotation basis.
- When you contact the attorney, please state that you received a referral from the State Bar of Michigan to ensure that the cost of your initial 30-minute consultation with a LRIS panel member will be no more than $20.00 for the first 30 minutes.
- You will be responsible for payment of the $20.00 initial consultation fee to the LRIS panel member. Any and all additional fees beyond the initial 30-minute consultation (including, but not limited to, fee agreements for representation) must be negotiated with the attorney. You will be responsible for payment of any fees you negotiate with the LRIS panel member.
- Before employing an LRIS panel member, you should interview the attorney and make whatever investigation you feel is appropriate regarding the attorney’s qualifications to handle your legal matter. Every case is unique and outcomes vary depending upon the facts and legal issues of each case.
- The LRIS panel members are attorneys licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan who have paid a fee to join the LRIS and have represented to the State Bar of Michigan that they are in good standing with the State Bar of Michigan and that they carry malpractice insurance. These attorneys have indicated the geographic area(s) and the areas of practice in which they will accept referrals.
- The LRIS Representatives, who handle referral requests, are not attorneys and, therefore, cannot provide legal advice.
- The LRIS does not recommend or endorse the services of the panel members, nor does the omission of other attorneys imply a negative assessment, or any evaluation or recommendation whatsoever.
- Nothing on this website should be relied upon as legal advice. There is no attorney/client relationship or other professional relationship of any nature whatsoever created by your use of this website or by any information provided. Rather, the purpose of this website is to assist you in locating an attorney.
- As a condition of using the State Bar of Michigan Lawyer Referral and Information Service, you agree that the LRIS, the State Bar of Michigan, and the State Bar of Michigan’s officers and employees are not liable for any present and future claims you may have and you waive any claims you may have or that might arise from your reliance upon any information contained herein. You agree that the LRIS will not be liable for any lost revenue, profit or data, or direct, indirect, consequential, incidental, or punitive damages, however caused, regardless of the theory of liability arising out of the use or inability to use this website.