Justice Initiatives Committee
Jurisdiction: Develop and recommend proposals for the effective delivery of high quality legal services in Michigan, equal and fair to all. This committee consists of several initiatives whose activities include
- Analyzing and making recommendations for positions on proposed legislation, court rules, and other policies relevant to the committee's jurisdiction.
- Developing policies and programs to benefit underserved populations, including juveniles and those with special needs.
- Encouraging and coordinating free or discounted civil legal services.
- Working to increase resources for civil legal aid programs.
- Examining collateral civil consequences of criminal convictions and issues of adequate representation in the criminal justice system
- Recommend recipients of the John W. Cummiskey Award
- 2016-2017 Committee List
- Organizational Chart
- Initiative Rosters
The State Bar of Michigan supports many justice initiatives that help make available high-quality civil legal services to all Michigan citizens, assuring that the justice system is strong, equal, and fair in its application.
The Committee on Justice Initiatives organized into 4 major areas:
Criminal Issues Initiative—examines collateral civil consequences of criminal convictions and representational issues in the criminal justice system.
Equal Access Initiative—develops policies and programs to benefit underserved populations, including those with special needs, cognitive disabilities, and juveniles.
Justice Policy Initiative—analyzes and recommends positions on proposed legislation, court rules, and other policies relevant to the Justice Initiatives.
Pro Bono Initiative—encourages and coordinates free or discounted fees for civil legal services. Pro bono service is a way that Michigan attorneys assist low-income individuals in need of legal assistance.
Best Practices for Language Access in Michigan Courts
An Assessment of Pro Bono in Michigan—February 2013 Report
Implementing Crossroads: A Proposal for Evaluating Ability to Pay Fees, Fines, and Costs by the Michigan State Planning Body for the Delivery of Legal Services to the Poor
Judicial Crossroads Task Force Report of the Access to Justice Committee
Documenting the Justice Gap in Michigan
"Blueprint for Justice"
Justice Initiatives Summit Report