State Bar of Michigan
home member area contact us


michigan legal milestones



milestone home

map

resources

timeline

Legal Milestone List

  Berrien County Courthouse
  Elloitt-Larsen Civil Rights Act
  Milliken v. Bradley
  Elk, Oil, and the Environment
  Whisper to Rallying Cry
  Poletown & Eminent Domain
  Prentiss M. Brown
  Otis Milton Smith
  Freedom Road
  President Gerald R. Ford
  Mary Coleman
  Committee of One
  Milo Radulovich
  Striking Racial Covenants
  Murphy's Dissent
  Conveying Michigan
  Ending Jim Crow
  Pond's Defense
  Mount Clemens Pottery
  Emelia Schaub
  Rose of Aberlone
  Protecting the Impaired
  Laughing Whitefish
  The Uninvited Ear
  The King's Grant
  Improving Justice
  One Person—One Vote
  Eva Belles' Vote
  Constitutional Convention
  Ten Hours or No Sawdust
  Access to Public Water
  Augustus Woodward
  Sojourner Truth
  Justice William Fletcher
  Roosevelt-Newett Trial
  Cooley Law Office
  Baseball Reserve Clause
  Ossian Sweet Trial


5. Michigan's First Chief Justice

The first chief justice of the Michigan Supreme Court. Dedicated and placed outside on the University of Michigan campus. Placed in Felch Park (intersection of Fletcher and Washington streets) in front of the Power Center for the Performing Arts in Ann Arbor on September 9, 1987.

Resources

Complete Text on Milestone Marker

Justice William Fletcher

In 1833, William Asa Fletcher, a Detroit lawyer and a former attorney general of the Michigan Territory, was named circuit judge of 13 counties outside of Wayne. For riding this circuit, dispensing justice, he was paid $1,000 per year.

After Michigan achieved statehood in 1835, Governor Mason appointed Fletcher first chief justice of the Michigan Supreme Court, and he took office in 1836. George Morrell and Epaphroditus Ransom, judges of the First and Third Circuits, served with him.

Fletcher wrote the first compilation of the state statutes and served with honor and fidelity as chief justice until 1842. He died in Ann Arbor on September 19, 1852. His casket was placed on this site in Felch Park, although its exact location is unknown.

Placed by the State Bar of Michigan and the Washtenaw County Bar Association, 1987.

   
 

 

follow us
Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on LinkedIn Follow Us on Twitter Follow the SBM Blog

 

©Copyright 2014

website links
Contact Us
Site Map
Website Privacy Statement PDF
Staff Links

SBM on the Mapcontact information
State Bar of Michigan
306 Townsend St
Lansing, MI 48933-2012
Phone: (517) 346-6300
Toll Free: (800) 968-1442
Fax: (517) 482-6248