Family Law Section Meeting
Date: Wednesday, November 20, 2019
Location: Muskegon County Board Room, 4th Floor, Hall of Justice
Please be our guest for lunch and enjoy a lively discussion regarding the PPO processing in Muskegon County Family Court Services.
- • RSVP Rgould@lawestmi.org by Tuesday 4:00 p.m.
- • Topic: The PPO Process in Family Court Services.
- • Lunch: Provided by Rick Catalino, Nolan and Nolan.
- • Questions will be taken from the floor as time permits.
Memorandum from the Office of the Honorable Brenda E. Sprader
Effective immediately, Muskegon County Family Division Judge Brenda E. Sprader will be requiring a one-hour settlement conference for custody motions & custody summons and complaints, following the pre-trial, when there is one or more attorney on the case. Furthermore, scheduling orders will be used in these matters.
Additionally, please remember to never submit a proposed order or judgment for signature to the judge with the signature only on a separate page from the rest of the order or judgment. The judge’s signature should only be affixed to a page that contains part of the order or judgment, to prevent a signature page from ever being intentionally or unintentionally attached to another document. Thank you!
Muskegon County Annual Adoption Day Event
Date: Friday, November 22, 2019
Time: 9:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m.
Location: Judge Smedley’s Courtroom and the Law Library & Conference Room, 990 Terrace St, Muskegon
At 11:30 a.m. MI Supreme Court Justice Zahra will speak. Our theme will be superheroes. We plan a full display for the young, and the young at heart to enjoy. Here is a list of items needed for the Adoption Day event:
- • Superhero decorations
- • Cake
- • Plates
- • Cups
- • Punch
- • Forks
- • Napkins
- • Tablecloths
- • Goodie bags for kids—it was a big hit with the kids last year!
- • Perhaps specialty t-shirts to mark the occasion as a keepsake? If anyone would like to donate these.
Volunteers may come dressed as a superhero. Currently we have Wonder Woman, Batman, Bat Woman, and the Mom from the Incredibles. Remember to make it easy on our professional photographer, please choose something that translates well in photographs and in the public media press release. If you can help please contact Amy Smith in Family Court SmithAm@co.muskegon.mi.us or Angela West in Judge Sprader’s office WestAn@co.muskegon.mi.us.
Thank you! Your continued support is most appreciated and truly enhances our image in the eyes of the community.
Date: Friday, December 6, 2019
Time: 6:30 p.m.
Location: The Watermark 920, 920 Washington Ave, Muskegon
Starting at 6:30 p.m., enjoy a chic evening of music, dancing, cocktails, and an extensive variety of lavish hors d'oeuvres as you dance the night away. Membership dues cover your attendance to this grand Barrister’s Ball, and for a nominal fee, you may invite guests. Your invitation will be mailed to you. Kindly submit your RSVP
Questions? Contact Victoria Baker at (231) 220-0091; email@example.com
State Bar Family Law Section Council Meeting
Date: Saturday, November 2, 2019
Time: Breakfast starts at 9:00 a.m., Meeting starts at 9:30 a.m.
Location: Amway Grand Plaza, 187 Monroe Ave NW, Grand Rapids
We would love to have you and your colleagues (judges, referees) join us. Hope to see you then.
Announcement: Lake MI Estate Planning Council “QDRO-NOT JUST FOR DIVORCE”
Date: Wednesday, October 30, 2019
Time: Lunch at 11:30 a.m.
Location: Muskegon Country Club, 2801 Lakeshore Dr, Muskegon
- • Presented by Marcus T. Foote, Kuehne and Foote, APLC. QDRO is a strategy that allows the tax-free transfer of funds from a pension or retirement account in the name of one spouse into the name of the other spouse, without filing for divorce.
- • Return the attached form with payment ($25 per person, includes tip and tax) to Wendy Piper by Oct 18. No charge for your guests.
- • Please RSVP by emailing the names of your guests to firstname.lastname@example.org
Complete information regarding the seminar is attached.
Lunch & Learn Series
Date: Wednesday, October 16, 2019
Time: Noon–1:00 p.m.
Location: Delta Hotel and Conference Center
Please be our guest for lunch and enjoy a lively discussion with the Muskegon County Circuit Court Judges (minus Judge Smedley who has a prior commitment).
- • Each Judge will share brief tips, observations, recommendations, and issues that occur in their Courtrooms.
- • Questions are welcome and will be taken from the floor as time permits.
- • Kindly submit your questions to Victoria in advance.
- • RSVP Victoria Baker at (231) 220-0091 and email@example.com no later than noon on Wednesday, October 9.
- • Your annual dues cover the cost of your attendance at regularly scheduled meetings which include your meal.
- •If you RSVP but are unable to attend, please notify us promptly to avoid receiving an invoice for the cost of your meal. This policy has been adopted to avoid incurring unnecessary expense for association members.
Announcement: Full Service Saturday
- • Muskegon County will be holding another Full Service Saturday, including more departments and services.
- • Information is attached.
Announcement: Law Day Sponsors Needed
Would you be willing to donate either a gift certificate or merchandise for the silent auction at our December Barrister’s Ball event? All sponsors will be acknowledged in the printed program at the Law Day. Each year for the last 25+ years the MCBA has held an annual Law Day Award Ceremony benefiting Muskegon County schoolchildren and their teachers.
Scholarships, prizes for students, and cash gifts for teachers’ use in the classroom are awarded. We also recognize various community members with the presentation of several awards.
Further, the annual Law Day Program enhances our profession in the eyes of the community.
If you can help, please contact the 2020 Law Day Chairpersons:
296 W Clay Ave.
Muskegon, MI 49440
155 E. Apple Ave.
Muskegon, MI 49442
(231) 724-6585; firstname.lastname@example.org
All proceeds will go into the MCBA Law Day fund for Muskegon area student scholarships and teacher awards. Thank you for your continued support of your local bar association!
Manda J. Mitteer
MCBA President , 2019-2020
Announcement: Open Position for Assistant Prosecuting Attorney
Duties: The analysis of warrant requests; conducting pretrial conferences, bench trials and jury trials; working with other law enforcement agencies for the drafting of search warrants; and any other duties as assigned by the Prosecuting Attorney.
Requirements: Must be licensed by the State Bar of Michigan
Financial Information: $50,643–$97,275, plus benefits
Application Process: Please submit letter of interest, resume, and references to:
Muskegon County Prosecutor
990 Terrace, 5th Floor
Muskegon, MI 49442
Email submission preferred: email@example.com
Deadline: Until filled. Further information is attached.
Professional attorney office space available in Muskegon adjacent to courts and jail.
We’re at 8 W Walton Ave and offer attractive professional suites.
- • Suites include a reception waiting room area, kitchenette, conference rooms, large file-storage area, shared secretarial room, and wifi.
- • Costs range from $400 for an upstairs suite, $700 or $1,000 for main floor suites.
- • Please call or email Maureen Scholtens for more detail or to schedule a visit at (231) 725-4200 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open Position: Staff Attorney
Legal Aid of Western Michigan (LAWM) has an open position for a Staff Attorney in its Kalamazoo office.
Hovey House Office Space
The Hovey House is a beautiful 1889 Queen Anne Victorian home located at 318 Houston—walking distance to downtown Muskegon. It has been registered in the State and National Historic Registries for historic homes and has been fully remodeled into Class A office space. The building contains multiple tenants including lawyers, financial, insurance, counseling, and more.
Currently, there are two offices available:
- One with a turret office for $600 month.
- The other with a gas fireplace for $650 month.
- • Both office spaces are located on the 1st floor and are handicap accessible.
- • Included in the rent are utilities, parking, communal kitchen, and a conference room.
- • For more information or to schedule a tour, please contact Fred Bleakley or Marissa Lindahl at (231) 722-3733 and email@example.com.
Announcement: Certified Copies & Non-Certified Copies
As you know, effective May 1, 2019, Muskegon County Circuit Court Records began only providing certified copies of Judgments of Divorces. This was done because of the frequent need for certified copies for purposes of social security name changes and other official business.
- • There is a $10 fee per certified copy and an additional copy fee of $2, if the JOD is 2 pages or less, or an additional copy fee of $7, if the JOD is more than 2 pages.
- • This includes all attachments to the JOD. This is a change from the previous charge of an additional copy fee of $1 per page.
If an attorney or party would like a non-certified copy, copies can be printed from the OnBase system accessible in the Hall of Justice 6th Floor Law Library at any of the Muskegon County Michigan Legal Self-Help computer terminals or in the Legal Self-Help Center Room off of the main hallway on the 3rd Floor.
- • The cost for printing is $0.25 per page.
- • Please allow 48 hrs. from the time the Judgment of Divorce is signed to when it is available for printing from the OnBase system.
Obituary: Jack M. Grimm
Former MCBA member Jack M. Grimm died April 25, 2019.
Jack graduated from Muskegon High School, U of M & Wayne State University Law School.
Jack was a former Muskegon County District Court Judge, and a partner at the Muskegon law firm of VanderPloeg, Marietti, Mullally, Folkert, & Grimm. Jack would later move to Texas, and joined the largest law firm in Dallas, which specialized in defending insurance companies.
Jack became that law firm's lead trial attorney in jury trials in many state courts in the Midwest, because the Dallas firm did not want to send an attorney that had a southern drawl to a Midwest court. Opposing counsel usually joked with the jury by stating that "Now that you have heard Mr. Grimm's fairy tale, let me tell you the truth in this case." Unfazed by this joke, Jack with his handsome looks, great personality, and sharp trial skills, won many jury trials.
When Jack was ready to retire, his clients and law firm begged him to stay on to handle some high profile civil jury trials, which Jack reluctantly did, to their great satisfaction. Jack loved U of M especially football, golf, blueberries & Ryke's Bakery butter thin cookies.
Jack was predeceased by his parents, Louis and Pauline Grimm, and sister, Sally Veurink. Jack is survived by his brother, Gordon (Judy) Grimm of Muskegon, son, Stephen (Diane) Grimm of Fall Brook, California, 3 daughters, Robyn Cabral of Kihei, Hawaii, Lori Grimm of Muskegon, and Patti Bradshaw of Dallas, Texas.
Jack is also survived by special nephew, attorney Gary L. Veurink. Jack took Gary to many U of M football games, Jack was Gary's inspiration to become an attorney, and Jack was the attorney that moved the Hon. John H. Piercey to admit Gary to the State Bar of Michigan in 1979. Jack and Gary practiced law together from 1979-1982, which Gary considers to be some of the best years of his life.
A memorial service was held on June 8, 2019 by his family at the Muskegon Country Club to celebrate the life of the Hon. Jack M. Grimm. He will be greatly missed.
Open Position: Staff Attorney
Legal Aid of Western Michigan (LAWM) has an open position for a Staff Attorney, Muskegon office.
- • A license to practice law in Michigan or eligible to be admitted by waiver, or scheduled to sit for the July Michigan bar examination,
- • Demonstrated commitment to protecting the rights of low-income individuals and households,
- • Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- • Spanish Language proficiency valued.
- • Manage a litigation caseload, including, but not limited to, family law, housing law, consumer law & public benefits cases,
- • Successfully manage multiple tasks,
- • Build collaborative relationships within the community.
- • From $47,500 DOE. LAWM offers an excellent fringe benefit package including a retirement plan and a flex benefit account. LAWM IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Complete information is attached. Send resume and cover letter to Executive Director, Pamela Hoekwater at firstname.lastname@example.org
Announcement: Muskegon County 14th Circuit Court Open Position FOC Enforcement Attorney
The Muskegon County 14th Circuit Court has an immediate opening for a FOC Enforcement Attorney.
Open Position: LAWM Managing Attorney in Muskegon Office
Legal Aid of Western Michigan (LAWM) has a position open for a Managing Attorney in its Muskegon office. LAWM is LSC-funded and represents low-income individuals and families in a wide variety of poverty law areas including domestic violence, housing, public benefits, and consumer issues. The Muskegon office has four other attorneys and two support staff.
- Qualifications include at least five years of experience as a practicing attorney, • some degree of supervisory experience, • excellent written and oral communication skills. Spanish Language proficiency valued.
- Salary/Benefits from $61,000 DOE. LAWM offers an excellent fringe benefit package including a retirement plan and a flex benefit account.
- Send resume and cover letter to Executive Director, Pamela Hoekwater, email@example.com
- Complete information is attached in PDF file.
Announcement: Muskegon County Circuit Court Records
Effective May 1, 2019, Muskegon County Circuit Court Records will only be providing certified copies of Judgment of Divorces as these are a State vital record. There will be a $10.00 fee per certified copy with an additional charge of $1.00 per page for the copy.