Announcement: Intake Attorney Position
Legal Aid of Western Michigan (LAWM) has a position open for an Intake Attorney to work primarily by phone and email (not handling a case load).
This is expected to be a 30 hour/week position, ideally working out of LAWM’s Grand Rapids location. This position will report to the Director of Litigation, but will work closely with the managing attorneys for each of LAWM’s five offices.
Family Law Section Meeting
Date: Wednesday, Feb 19, 2020
Location: 4th Floor, Hall of Justice, County Commissioner’s Meeting Room
Please be our guest for lunch and enjoy a lively discussion regarding private custody investigations. Questions will be taken from the floor as time permits.
- • Presenter: Pete Armstrong from Britt Law Group, Attorney and Custody Investigator.
- • Topic: “Private Custody Investigations—a good report and the value it brings to settling cases.”
- • Lunch: Provided by Parmenter Law.
- • RSVP to Deb: firstname.lastname@example.org or (231) 722-5407 by February 18 at noon.
Announcement: Law Day Sponsors
The MCBA Law Day Committee is asking for help from members of the MCBA to act as sponsors for this year’s Law Day. We need your assistance to continue the highly worthwhile cause of generous scholarships to area high school seniors, cash and prizes for other students, and cash gifts for teachers’ use in the classroom all awarded at our annual Law Day luncheon. We also recognize various community members with the presentation of several awards.
Honoring students, teachers, and outstanding citizens is an important part of our Law Day festivities and enhances our profession in the community. We hope that you can help us!
All sponsors will be acknowledged in the printed program at the Law Day event.
Ways you can help:
- $50 individual donation.
- $150 for a firm of 3+ attorneys.
- $200 for your firm’s logo, plus the option to put an item of your choice in the contestant’s goody bags.
Monetary donations (earmarked Law Day donation) should be sent to MCBA Treasurer Jonathan Hoogstra (231)726-4484, at:
Muskegon County Bar Association
P.O. Box 88
Muskegon, MI 49443-0088
- Goody bag donation for the speech contestant’s grab bags such as pens, pencils, post it notes, pop sockets, snacks.
All MCBA members are invited to attend the Law Day Ceremony & Luncheon held Friday, May 1, 2020 at the Delta Marriott Muskegon.
If you can help us, please contact:
Belinda A. Barbier, 2020 Law Day Co-Chair
296 W Clay Ave. Muskegon, MI 49440-1202
(231) 722-9474; email@example.com
Presentation with MI Supreme Court Justice Elizabeth Clement
Date: Thursday, February 6, 2020
Time: 8:30 a.m.
Location: Michael E. Kobza Hall of Justice 60th District Court, 2nd Floor Jury Assembly Room
Michigan Supreme Court Justice Elizabeth Clement will be visiting the 60th District Court to highlight the work that is being done in both the Eviction Prevention Program and the Adult Mental Health Court.
- • Representatives from the agencies that make these problem solving dockets possible will be hosting a small reception for Justice Clement, along with local elected officials.
- • Coffee and donuts will be served.
- • Following the reception, attendees are welcome to observe a session of court where Judge Ladas Hoopes will preside over an Eviction Prevention docket, followed by remarks from Justice Clement.
- • Questions? Contact Patrick Finnegan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Lake MI Estate Planning Council “The Secure Act: What You & Your Clients Should Know” Karen Kayes of Warner Norcross Judd
Date: Tuesday, February 4, 2020
Time: 11:30 a.m. Lunch; Noon Program
Location: Muskegon Country Club, 2801 Lakeshore Dr, Muskegon
Karen will review the legislation and provide insight on the Setting Every Community Up for Retirement Enhancement Act of 2019, otherwise known as, The Secure Act. Learn about planning options for IRAs, 401(k)s, RMDS and more.
- • Return the attached form with payment ($25 per person, includes tip and tax) to Karen Smyth by Wednesday, January 29.
- • Pay online at www.lmepc.org.
- • Please include the names of any guests on your paper reservation or email the guest names to email@example.com if paying electronically.
Announcement: Conflict Attorney Positions
Muskegon County Public Defender’s Office is looking for conflict attorneys for both adult criminal cases and neglect/abuse cases.
- • These are not salaried positions but will be appointed case by case.
- • Questions? Contact Manda Miter, Family Division Chief at firstname.lastname@example.org; (231) 724-6585 x 6441
Announcement: Certified Copies & Non-Certified Copies
As you know, effective May 1, 2019, Muskegon County Circuit Court Records began only providing certified copies of Judgments of Divorces. This was done because of the frequent need for certified copies for purposes of social security name changes and other official business.
- • There is a $10 fee per certified copy and an additional copy fee of $2, if the JOD is 2 pages or less, or an additional copy fee of $7, if the JOD is more than 2 pages.
- • This includes all attachments to the JOD. This is a change from the previous charge of an additional copy fee of $1 per page.
If an attorney or party would like a non-certified copy, copies can be printed from the OnBase system accessible in the Hall of Justice 6th Floor Law Library at any of the Muskegon County Michigan Legal Self-Help computer terminals or in the Legal Self-Help Center Room off of the main hallway on the 3rd Floor.
- • The cost for printing is $0.25 per page.
- • Please allow 48 hrs. from the time the Judgment of Divorce is signed to when it is available for printing from the OnBase system.
Announcement: Muskegon County Circuit Court Records
Effective May 1, 2019, Muskegon County Circuit Court Records will only be providing certified copies of Judgment of Divorces as these are a State vital record. There will be a $10.00 fee per certified copy with an additional charge of $1.00 per page for the copy.