Character & Fitness Committee
Support the work of the State Bar of Michigan conducted under the direction and authority of the Board of Law Examiners and Michigan Supreme Court by:
- Investigating the character and fitness of candidates for admission to the Bar pursuant to Rule 15, Section 1, of the Supreme Court Rules Concerning the State Bar of Michigan. This workproduct is provided to the Board of Law Examiners for its consideration. The workproduct is not provided to, or subject to approval by, the Board of Commissioners or Representative Assembly.
- Making recommendations on changes to rules concerning admissions related to character and fitness, and SBM interaction with Michigan law schools concerning character and fitness.
- Meeting on a biennial basis with the Board of Law Examiners.
- Determining how the committee's work might interact with and support the work of the Professional Ethics, Judicial Ethics, Lawyers and Judges Assistance, and Client Protection Fund committees, including through conferring and coordinating regularly with them on trends, data, insights, and metrics.
- Suggesting metrics for measuring the effectiveness of the work carried out by the Character and Fitness committee.
Note: This committee may have more than 15 members. See Supreme Court Rule 15.
2018-2019 Committee List