Registered Lawyer Referral Programs
Under Rule 6.3(b) of the Michigan Rules of Professional Conduct , Michigan lawyers may participate in a not-for-profit lawyer referral service, if that service:
- Maintains registration as a qualified service with the State Bar of Michigan;
- Is operated in the public interest for the purpose of referring prospective clients to lawyers; pro bono and public service legal programs; and government, consumer or other agencies that can best provide the assistance needed by clients, in light of their financial circumstances, spoken language, any disability, geographical convenience, and the nature and complexity of their problems;
- Is open to all lawyers licensed and eligible to practice in this state who maintain an office within the geographical area served, and who:
- Meet reasonable and objective requirements of experience, as established by the service;
- Pay reasonable registration and membership fees not to exceed an amount established by the State Bar to encourage widespread lawyer participation; and
- Maintain a policy of errors and omissions insurance, or provide proof of financial responsibility, in an amount at least equal to the minimum established by the State Bar;
- Ensures that the combined fees and expenses charged a prospective client by a qualified service and a lawyer to whom the client is referred not exceed the total charges the client would have incurred had no referral service been involved; and
- Makes no fee-generating referral to any lawyer who has an ownership interest in, or who operates or is employed by, the qualified service, or who is associated with a law firm that has an ownership interest in, or operates or is employed by, a qualified service.
Questions about lawyer referral program registration? Contact Janna Sheppard.
The following lawyer referral programs have registered with the State Bar of Michigan as of May 1, 2021.
- Genesee County Bar Association LRIS
- Grand Rapids Bar Association - LRIS
- Macomb County Bar Association LRIS
- Metro-Detroit Lawyers
- National Crime Victim Bar Association Attorney Referral Service
- Oakland County Lawyer Referral Service
- Washtenaw County Bar Association Lawyer Referral & Information Service