Visit our Career Center for other job postings.
The State Bar of Michigan is seeking a full-time legal secretary for the Client Protection Fund and Unauthorized Practice of Law departments; immediate opening.
Perform routine and complex administrative functions for the Client Protection Fund and Unauthorized Practice of Law departments. Assist with advanced coordination, scheduling, calendaring, organization, and general administration. Prepare drafts of legal documents, correspondence and other documents, perform advanced administrative duties, maintain office and file organization, proofread documents, resolve problems, and obtain and relay information pertaining to confidential legal matters. Respond to inquiries in a manner requiring considerable knowledge about the policies, procedures, and operations of the Bar.
Minimum Position Guidelines (Education, Experience, Knowledge Skills, and Abilities):
- Three to five years’ work experience in litigation support in a law firm or similar office setting.
- Certification preferred, not required.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Products, Adobe Acrobat, survey/scheduling software, and practice management software.
- Ability to use a variety of software technologies to streamline tasks; positive commitment toward training, using, and applying technology enhancements/updates.
- Planning and organization skills.
- Consistent accuracy (including excellent proofreading skills), thoroughness, timeliness, and reliability in work product.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, ability to communicate in a positive manner and to work cohesively in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to maintain the strictest confidentiality.
- Spanish fluency preferred.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. The State Bar of Michigan is an equal opportunity employer.
The State Bar of Michigan has an opening for a paid law student intern in the Justice Initiatives program.
- Part-time up to 20 hours per week / Pay rate $15.00 per hour.
- The deadline to apply is Thursday, January 16, 2020.
- Support the JI Committee and other SBM committees and programs.
- Accurately input data into the Michigan Legal Assistance Partnership Program (MI-LAPP) database used for administration of the QDRO Pro Bono Program, Tax Pro Bono Program, Patent Pro Bono Project, and Malpractice for Pro Bono Program.
- Prepare detailed and accurate program reports.
- Prepare, review, and evaluate the satisfaction of program clients by initiating telephone calls, written surveys, and other methods.
- Speak with bar staff, bar members, partner programs, program clients, and other members of the public in a professional and courteous manner.
- Research and write articles, memoranda, and other documents as assigned.
- Edit documents for proper grammar, style, and spelling.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Position Guidelines (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- Current law student (1L or 2L preferred).
- Knowledge of the Voluntary Pro Bono Standard and practice and procedure rules related to Limited Scope Representation.
- Basic knowledge of federal and state tax law is helpful but not required.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office products, Adobe, and other frequently used business software.
- Excellent English and writing skills.
- Strong editing and proofreading skills.
- Ability to meet department standards regarding job knowledge, quality, efficiency, initiative, teamwork, customer service, and overall performance.
Interested applicants should send a resume, cover letter, writing sample, copy of current law school transcript, and contact information for at least one professional reference to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Justice Initiatives Law Student Intern” in the subject line of your email.
Please direct questions to:
Human Resources Department at email@example.com
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this job. They are not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities, and working conditions associated with this job. This job description is not an employment contract and SBM reserves the right to change this description at any time. SBM is an equal opportunity employer.