Recent Postings from the Michigan Courts
Staff Attorney - contractual —Michigan Judicial Tenure Commission
The State Bar of Michigan (Lansing, MI) has an immediate opening for a database administrator.
Responsible for maintaining, planning, designing, documenting, securing and implementing the Bar’s databases and related software. Such activities involve interaction with development and end-user personnel to determine application data access requirements, volume analysis, and other pertinent data to develop and maintain integrated databases. Assists with evaluating, reviewing, and installing system/application software and service packs. Assists developers with necessary data pulls for websites that connect to databases. Maintains the integrity and performance of the SBM databases and ensures that the data is stored securely and runs efficiently. This position works closely with outside development and managed services teams to coordinate project builds and to implement new solutions. Serves as a guide to enhance existing programs to ensure that computer/technical processing systems continue to meet user needs. Identifies and resolves performance issues, database capacity issues, and any database problems to provide continuous business operations. Responsible for service pack and version upgrades, as well as software vendor selection. Trains end-users and facilitates user groups. Responsible for creating and maintaining reports and ad-hoc queries based on staff requests. On call for non-business hour system updates, patches, installations, troubleshooting and special projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems or related field and/or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- 5+ years in SQL database experience required.
- Microsoft SQL Server, Windows Server, IIS and SSRS experience also required.
- Must be competent to work independently in most phases of SQL database management.
- Ability to meet department standards regarding job knowledge, quality, efficiency, initiative, teamwork, customer service, and overall performance.
- Knowledge of standard concepts, practices, and procedures within SQL and HTML required.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills in the English language required.
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Michigan Supreme Court is currently seeking qualified candidates to fill the position of Law Clerk in the Chambers of Supreme Court Justice Elizabeth Welch to begin in August 2022. The person in this position assists in the evaluation of cases filed with the Court, which includes reviewing Commissioner reports, proposed orders and opinions, and discussion of pending cases with the Justice. Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Review applications for leave to appeal and cases scheduled for conference consideration. As necessary, prepare summaries and recommendations for the Justice;
- Review memos prepared by the other Justices’ chambers and prepare responsive memos;
- Confer with the Justice on pending matters such as applications for leave to appeal, conference items, opinions, and orders;
- As directed by the Justice, draft memos to the Court advocating her position;
- Prepare bench memos in advance of oral arguments, including reviewing the case record, conducting required legal research, summarizing important facts and arguments, and providing a recommendation on disposition;
- Attend and review transcripts of oral arguments of assigned cases;
- Prepare draft opinions, concurrences, and dissents. Peer review opinions prepared by other clerks. Advocate proposed changes per the Justice’s instructions with regard to opinions issued by other chambers;
- Review and analyze administrative agenda items and conduct legal research and follow-up;
- Track current developments in the law, including reading Supreme Court and Court of Appeals opinions, legal periodicals, and other relevant information;
- Assign research projects to and supervise research activities of legal interns;
- Draft speeches and perform other duties as necessary.
Application Deadline: November 1, 2021, 5 p.m.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Visit our Career Center for other job postings.