Professional Ethics Committee
Offer analysis and guidance concerning the Michigan Rules of Professional Conduct, and, to the extent that they relate to attorney conduct in Michigan, provisions of the ABA Model Rules of Professional Conduct, the ABA Mode Code of Judicial Conduct, and other applicable professional conduct standards, as well as emerging issues of professional conduct affecting lawyers:
- Drafting informal opinions on professional ethics published on the State Bar of Michigan website
- Drafting proposed formal opinions for consideration by the Board of Commissioners
- Making recommendations concerning amendments to the Michigan Rules of Professional Conduct, and other standards of professional conduct that relate to lawyer conduct, on the committee’s own initiative or upon request by the Board of Commissioners or Representative Assembly
- Proposing and advising on revisions to court rules or legislation affecting professional ethics
- Determining how the committee’s work might interact with and support work of the Judicial Ethics, Lawyers and Judges Assistance, Character and Fitness, Client Protection Fund, and Unauthorized Practice of Law committees, including through a meeting of the chairs at least annually to discuss trends, data, insights, and metrics
- Conferring with the Attorney Grievance Commission and the Attorney Discipline Board to discuss trends, data, insights
- Reviewing and evaluating metrics measuring the effectiveness of efforts to reduce behavior subject to professional discipline and promote professionalism and civility
Note: Pursuant to operating rules adopted by the Board of Commissioners, informal ethics opinions of this committee are made public on the committee’s own initiative, without approval of the Board of Commissioners. This committee may have more than 15 members.
2019-2020 Committee Members
Rules of the Committee
Includes reports from Ethics, Judicial & Professional Committee, Standing Committee on Professional Ethics, and Standing Committee on Judicial Ethics.