Professional Ethics Committee
The jurisdiction of the Standing Committee on Professional Ethics is derived from authority granted under the Board of Commissioners and oversight provided by the Professional Standards Committee. The Standing Committee on Professional Ethics offers analysis and guidance concerning the Michigan Rules of Professional Conduct, and, to the extent that they relate to attorney conduct in Michigan, provisions of the Michigan Code of Judicial Conduct, the ABA Model Rules of Professional Conduct, and other applicable professional conduct standards, as well as emerging issues of professional conduct affecting lawyers:
- Rendering informal advisory opinions on professional ethics, which are published on the State Bar of Michigan website.
- Rendering proposed formal advisory opinions on professional ethics for consideration by the Board of Commissioners.
- Update published opinions as rules, case law, and legislation are modified.
- Recommend amendments and provide comments to proposed amendments to the Michigan Rules of Professional Conduct and other standards of professional conduct that relate to lawyer conduct, to the Board of Commissioners or Representative Assembly for consideration.
- Provide comments and recommend amendments to court rules or legislation affecting professional ethics that relate to lawyer conduct and present recommendations to the Board of Commissioners or Representative Assembly for consideration.
- Drafting resources relevant to professional ethics as it relates to lawyer conduct, which are published on the State Bar of Michigan website.
- Consult with external stakeholders on various professional ethics topics.
- Consult with the Attorney Grievance Commission and the Attorney Discipline Board to discuss trends, data, and insights as it relates to lawyer conduct and advisory guidance.
- Review and evaluate available metrics measuring the effectiveness of national and state efforts to reduce conduct subject to professional discipline and promote professionalism and civility.
Note: Pursuant to operating rules adopted by the Board of Commissioners, informal ethics opinions and other general resources of this Committee are made public on the Committee’s own initiative, without approval of the Board of Commissioners.
2022-2023 Committee Members
Rules of the Committee
Includes reports from Ethics, Judicial & Professional Committee, Standing Committee on Professional Ethics, and Standing Committee on Judicial Ethics.