Unauthorized Practice of the Law Committee
Unauthorized Practice of Law Home
Provide advice on and support for the State Bar of Michigan’s unauthorized practice of law responsibilities under Rule 16 of the Supreme Court Rules Concerning the State Bar of Michigan:
- Proposing and supporting measures to educate the public and the legal profession about unauthorized practice of law issues
- Providing guidance to the Board of Commissioners concerning matters involving the alleged unauthorized practice of the law (UPL), including recommendations on the filing and prosecuting of actions to enjoin the unauthorized practice of law.
- Proposing and advising on revisions to courts rules and legislation related to the unauthorized practice of law
- Determining how the committee’s work might interact with and support work of the Professional Ethics, Public Outreach and Education, and Affordable Legal Services committees, including through conferring and coordinating regularly with them on trends, data, insights, and metrics
- Reviewing and evaluating metrics for measuring the effectiveness of efforts to carry out the responsibilities of the State Bar of Michigan under Rule 16, MCL 600.916, and MCL450.681
Notes: UPL activity of the State Bar of Michigan is subject to the ongoing oversight of the Michigan Supreme Court and recommendations of the committee on specific UPL prosecution must be approved by the Board of Commissioners. This committee may have more than 15 members.
2020-2021 Committee List