Network with the SBM
“Join groups, special-interest bars, or other avenues to meet other lawyers and keep an open mind toward areas of law you are not familiar with. Be involved in a bar section. Join a group. Stay connected.” Words of Wisdom, Master Lawyers Survey, 2018.
The State Bar of Michigan provides many avenues to meet other lawyers.
There are 44 sections covering all areas of law. Section membership encourages new and experienced lawyers to build relationships. These relationships can lead to mentoring, job opportunities, practice-specific information, and furthering your education. Most sections have newsletters ready for your writing skills, and you can find a path to section leadership if you’re interested.
Members are also needed to work the section’s many standing committees. Volunteer for a committee that interests you.
State Bar of Michigan section and committee members can use SBM Connect to review and post in discussion area, add items to the library and events calendar, and edit communication preferences.
SBM members can stay in touch with each other and the rest of the legal world through social network sites:
- LinkedIn: SBM sponsors a group called State Bar of Michigan Members. It's a place to hold informal discussions, share news, and post and seek jobs on the jobs board.
- Facebook: State Bar of Michigan, where users can keep up with the latest SBM news, track upcoming events, see photos from previous events, and participate in conversations about the latest legal news.
- Twitter: Members interested in discovering the latest SBM, state, and national legal news as it unfolds should follow MIStateBar.
- SBM Blog: For commentary, news, and information of interest to Michigan lawyers, visit the SBM Blog. Subscribe to the blog's RSS feed to stay in the loop.
SBM has partnered with the online legal marketplace CloudLaw to build a full-featured Member Directory that makes it easy for you to share information with the public and your peers. You can use your unique URL for your profile page as a personal website. You can also:
- Post publications, blogs, and videos.
- Join and create groups.
- Build connections with other lawyers.
- Facilitate client interaction through optional site contact, endorsement, and review features.
Finally, the SBM NEXT Conference takes place September 26-28 in Grand Rapids. You can attend section meetings, take advantage of the educational programs, and network with fellow attorneys. Building relationships with other members of the profession will help you develop a practice and enhance your legal career. Consider using SBM networking services to stay connected.
After years practicing law, Roberta Gubbins served as editor of the Ingham County Legal News. Since leaving the paper, she provides writing services to lawyers ghostwriting content for websites, blogs, and articles. She is editor of The Mentor, the SBM Master Lawyers Section newsletter.
Read More Clear & Convincing Articles
Using the Enhanced Member Directory
How to Login and Edit Your Profile
CloudLawyers Directory Services
How to Contact CloudLawyers Support