Judicial Ethics Committee
Offer analysis and guidance concerning the Michigan Code of Judicial Conduct, and, to the extent that they relate to judicial conduct in Michigan, to provisions of the Michigan Rules of Professional Conduct, the ABA Code of Judicial Conduct, and other applicable standards of professional conduct, as well as emerging issues of professional conduct affecting judges and judicial candidates by:
- Drafting informal opinions on judicial ethics published on the State Bar of Michigan website.
- Drafting proposed formal opinions for consideration by the Board of Commissioners.
- Making recommendations concerning amendments to the Michigan Code of Judicial Conduct and other standards professional conduct, on the committee's own initiative or upon request by the Board of Commissioners or Representative Assembly.
- Meeting biennially with the Judicial Tenure Commission and the leadership of the Michigan Judicial Institute.
- Determining how the committee's work might interact with and support work of the Professional Ethics, Lawyers and Judges Assistance, Character and Fitness, and Client Protection Fund committees, including through conferring and coordinating regularly with them on trends, data, insights, and metrics.
- Being aware of and discuss metrics measuring the effectiveness of national and state efforts to reduce behavior leading to judicial discipline and promote civility.
Note: Members are nominated by and drawn from among the membership of the Michigan Judges Association, the Michigan Probate Judges Association, the Michigan District Judges Association, the Michigan Association of District Court Magistrates, the Judicial Section Council, and the Referee Association of Michigan.
2021-2022 Committee Members
Rules of the Committee
Includes reports from Ethics, Judicial & Professional Committee, Standing Committee on Professional Ethics, and Standing Committee on Judicial Ethics.
Social Networking and Judges