July 24, 2020
Board of Commissioners
Public Policy Items To Be Considered
Members who wish to share comments on any of the items below may do so by filling out a Public Policy Comment form or emailing email@example.com before 9:00 a.m. on Thursday, July 24.
A. Court Rule Amendments
1. ADM File No. 2002-37: Proposed Addition of MCR 2.226
The proposed addition of MCR 2.226 would clarify the process for change of venue and transfer orders.
2. ADM File No. 2019-47: Proposed Amendments of MCR 3.804, 5.140, and 5.404 and Proposed Addition of MCR 3.811
The proposed amendments of MCR 3.804, 5.140, and 5.404 and proposed new MCR 3.811 would allow greater use of videoconferencing equipment in cases involving Indian children.
3. ADM File No. 2019-41: Proposed Amendment of MCR 4.201
The proposed amendment of MCR 4.201 would require disclosure of the right to object to venue in actions brought under the Summary Proceedings Act for landlord/tenant proceedings in district court, consistent with MCL 600.5706.
4. ADM File No. 2020-04: Proposed Amendment of Rule 4 of the Rules for the Board of Law Examiners
The proposed amendment of BLE Rule 4 would explicitly state that a passing bar exam score is valid for three years, which is consistent with the character and fitness clearance expiration.
1. HB 5444 (Liberati) Children; services; kinship caregiver navigator program; create. Creates new act.
2. HB 5488 (Lightner) Criminal procedure; sentencing; certain permissible costs; extend sunset. Amends sec. 1k, ch. IX of 1927 PA 175 (MCL 769.1k).
3. HB 5795 (Filler) Probate; wills and estates; electronic signature of wills; allow. Amends sec. 2502 of 1998 PA 386 (MCL 700.2502) & adds sec. 2504a.
4. HB 5805 (Berman) Courts; judges; hearings on emergency motions by defendant in criminal cases; provide for. Amends sec. 1, ch. I of 1927 PA 175 (MCL 761.1) & adds sec. 12 to ch. III.
5. HB 5806 (Berman) Courts; records; online attorney access to court actions and filed documents without fees; provide for. Amends secs. 1985 & 1991 of 1961 PA 236 (MCL 600.1985 & 600.1991) & adds sec. 1991a.
6. SB 0682 (Lucido) Juveniles; juvenile justice services; juvenile records; require to be confidential. Amends sec. 28, ch. XIIA of 1939 PA 288 (MCL 712A.28).
7. SB 0865 (Lucido) Courts; other; procedures and regulations related cellular telephones in courtrooms; provide restrictions and penalties.
8. SB 0895 (Runestad) Civil procedure; other; new trial; revise procedure for granting. Amends 1961 PA 236 (MCL 600.101 to 600.9947).
C. Model Criminal Jury Instructions
1. M Crim JI 37.8, 37.8a, 37.8b, 37.9, 37.9a, 37.10, 37.11 and 37.11a
The Committee proposes instructions M Crim JI 37.8, 37.8a, 37.8b, 37.9, 37.9a, 37.10, 37.11 and 37.11a, where the prosecutor has charged an offense found in MCL 750. 483a, which addresses withholding evidence, preventing the report of a crime, retaliating for reporting a crime, influencing a crime report, defenses, or evidence tampering. The instructions are entirely new.